- You Are Here:
- About BPL
- Mission & Policies
- Meeting Room Policies
Meeting Room Policies
The Bridgeport Public Library includes a meeting room suitable for meetings of groups of 40 people or less. The room is available at a fee for public use. The Library and the City of Bridgeport encourage use of the room by community groups and organizations and by individuals for meetings which are for cultural, educational, and /or civic betterment.
The Library has a limited inventory of audiovisual equipment and other materials available for loan in conjunction with the room. Use of the equipment or other library materials should be arranged for separately.
Reservations may be made at the Library during normal library hours. Applicants must read the policies and procedures and pay all deposits and fees before a reservation can be made. All reservations must be made one week before use of the room.
- Reservations will not be accepted for meetings of groups who discriminate against any person on the grounds of race, color, national origin, religion, or sex.
- The facility is not available for meetings which are commercial in nature. Political groups may only use the room for non-partisan or bi-partisan programs. Religious groups may reserve the room for non-sectarian or interdenominational meetings or programs only.
- Library programming will have priority in scheduling room use. However, a scheduled group will not be displaced within two weeks of usage date.
Permission or rejection of any application does not imply endorsement or censure of the applicant's beliefs or policies by the Library or the City of Bridgeport.
Neither the Library nor the City of Bridgeport assumes any liability for groups or individuals meeting in the Library Meeting Room. The City, Library, and their employees assume no responsibility for any property placed on or in its facilities or grounds. Further, the City, Library, and their employees are released and discharged from any and all liability for loss, injury, or damage to person, property or exhibits that may be sustained by the use or occupancy of the facilities.
Rules for Use
- Any group or individual using the facility agrees to leave the premises in as good or better condition than that which existed prior to their usage.
- Light refreshments may be served in the Meeting Room. All utensils, supplies, and equipment must be provided by the group using the meeting room.
- Setting up chairs, tables, and other furniture or equipment and restoring the room to its former order after use is the responsibility of the scheduled group. Broom and mop are provided.
- The persons signing the reservation form are responsible for closing up (turning out the lights, removing garbage, locking interior and exterior doors and returning any borrowed library materials or equipment).
- Smoking and alcoholic beverages are not permitted.
- No decorative or other materials may be nailed, tacked, screwed, taped or otherwise physically attached to ant part of the Meeting Room.
- All users of the facility are expected to comply with federal, state and local laws, including ordinances of the City of Bridgeport, and with the rules and policies of the local police and fire departments.
- Advertisements for meetings held at the Library must have a disclaimer stating the event is not sponsored by the Library or the City of Bridgeport.
- Any individual or group that violates these policies may be temporarily or permanently barred from making further reservations. All or a portion of deposited monies will be withheld if it is determined the room is left in an unacceptable condition. Deposits will only be returned when all problems are remedied.
- The meeting room may be reserved not less than one week or more than ninety days in advance.
- Hours of scheduling shall include total time required including set up and clean up.
- Events must be limited to 40 persons or less.
- Reservations for reccurring meetings must be renewed every ninety days.
- Reservations will not be accepted for events scheduled to begin before 6 a.m. or to end after 12 midnight.
Procedures for Placing a Room Reservation
- Reservations may be made by telephone. However, one week prior to the scheduled use of the room, an official representative must come in to the Library to read the meeting room policy and procedures, sign the application, and pay the deposit and rent.
- The Library Director, or an appointed representative, receives and approves or rejects the application for use.
- The person making the reservation and posting the deposit shall be present at the time of the scheduled activity. This person shall be held responsible to the City of Bridgeport in the event a problem should arise.
- The person making the reservation shall receive and return the keys to Library Staff. Deposits will be returned after the room has been inspected and found to be in acceptable condition.
Fees & Deposits
Rent (per day):
- $25.00 for personal use
- $50.00 for business use
Fees will be waived for civic groups listed with the Bridgeport Chamber of Commerce.